Prioritizing Preventative Care
Primary care doctors and specialists at Steward prioritize preventive care, and they use state-of-the-art technology and work together to manage chronic health issues so patients can spend more time with their loved ones outside of the hospital leading healthy, active lives.
Steward is physician-led, and our legacy is one of high-quality care, innovation, and community commitment.
Proven Physician-led Model
We pioneered our model in Massachusetts, where we turned around some of the state’s most struggling hospitals and created a thriving health system that improved outcomes, lowered costs, and established lasting partnerships with local communities. Today, we manage this new model of care for 12 million people in 36 hospitals in nine states and the country of Malta.
We believe passionately that by emphasizing health and well-being
for our patients, Steward’s model represents a new future
for America’s health care system.
Under this model, Steward’s primary care physicians, specialists and other caregivers work together to develop a treatment plan specific to a patient’s health care needs. Steward has achieved the best performance among Massachusetts Pioneers and the second best of all Pioneer ACOs in the nation.
We have demonstrated key quality improvements for patients within the ACO and have achieved significant success by maintaining high performance in patient experience year after year while focusing on:
- Patient safety and coordination of care
- Preventive health, including vaccinations and screenings
- Care for populations with chronic conditions, such as diabetes
and coronary artery disease
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) have recognized Steward’s Medicare Pioneer ACO as a leading Medicare ACO and as being among the top-scoring ACOs in the nation. Steward achieved more than $30 million in savings under the Pioneer ACO program in the first three years of the program enabling us to reinvest these resources in information technology, connectivity, integration and care management so that these savings are sustainable and scalable. Steward was also independently ranked by L&M Policy Research as the number one Pioneer ACO in 2013 and number two in 2012 in overall savings.
We are one of the few leading Accountable Care Organizations to implement an ACO for Medicaid patients, pioneering innovations
- Enhance care coordination and management efforts through formal
partnerships with certified behavioral health and long-term services
and supports (LTSS) community organizations
- Improve electronic health records and ACO analytic capabilities
- Reduce avoidable in-patient and emergency department utilization
- Implement other key initiatives for ACOs to improve health outcomes
and member experience under the new payment models
These programs generate significant cost
savings for state Medicaid programs while
improving members health. Through its
partnerships with state Medicaid agencies,
our local, innovative Medicaid ACO models will:
- Improve quality and member experience
- Integrate the full spectrum of care, including medical care, behavioral health, and LTSS
- Provide clinical- and community-based support for populations with behavioral health and long-term health care needs
- Shift incentives to hold providers accountable for quality and total cost of care for a population of patients
- Invest in primary care and community workforce development
- Allow for innovative ways of addressing the social determinants of health
- Expand access to substance misuse disorder treatment, including treatment for co-occurring disorders